Posts

Tuesday 21 July 2015

Wednesday Column


***Chicken Pox***

Chicken Pox has been visiting our house. I now know the words and tunes to more theme songs than I care to think about. We have spent the week snuggled on the couch, running baths, dabbing on creams, eating ice-blocks and watching TV. That’s about it.

Homeopathy is a funny wee beast. In the books the typical remedies for Chicken Pox are listed, based on fevers and itchiness. Well, I tried those on my son and to be honest they weren’t really touching the sides. Until, on night three, at about 2am, in the bath, he was wailing in a manner that I recognised from childbirth. Crazy, huh? I remember getting to the point where it was all just Too Much. I just could not do it anymore. I just wanted it to be over. And I know from my homeopathy training that at this point in labour there’s a really good remedy to help women through. Well, recognising this emotion in my son was the turning point. His wailing in the bath that he didn’t want the Chicken Pox anymore, and that it was too itchy and crying very loudly, all echoed that same set of emotions. So I gave him that remedy. And sure e-bloody-nough, he calmed down and got about three hours sleep, finally. And then, the next time the itch was getting to be Too Much, we gave him the remedy again, and he settled down and had another sleep.

One of my lecturers at college said that to be a good homeopath we need to know what the remedies look like – we need to be able to recognise the backs of their heads, the same way we can recognise good friends across the room at a party. Every time I give a remedy and every time I take a remedy, I’m building my knowledge, storing away another facet of the remedy so that I can recognise it better later on. And the geeky-exciting thing about it for me is that I never know when or where I’ll be required to transpose one experience onto another, like child-birth onto Chicken Pox – who would have thought?



2 comments:

  1. Very cool. :)

    Chicken pox was the gateway to using homeopathy for a friend about 30 years ago. She is a very christian woman who had serious doubts about homeopathy. She got chickenpox. It was diabolical. I offered homeopathy. She refused. It got worse. I offered homeopathy. She refused. It got worse and she sent her husband and children away. She wanted to scream but she had chicken pox in her throat. She wanted to cry, but she had chicken pox on the inside of her eyelids. She had chickenpox everywhere - in her hair, in her ears, up her nose, in her vagina. I offered homeopathic rhus tox. She agreed. INSTANT RELIEF! She was up and walking around without pain after a couple of hours. She decided that it wasn't devil's potions, but rather, God moving in mysterious ways. After that she kept and used a homeopathic 'first aid' collection of remedies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Cally!! That's a very cool story :-). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete