Posts

Monday 20 July 2015

Taking A Moment

This morning I managed to stop, mid-losing-my-shit, take a breath, and say, “I’m just gonna go calm down, and THEN I’ll come back and talk about this.”

This is cause for CELEBRATION people!! This is monumental!! I’m so freaking proud of myself!!

So, I know you’re wondering what I was losing my shit about, right?

Well, I’ve been trying to foster an atmosphere of working together. So, when I can see that Joss wants to work with Louis on something, but she’s just annoying him, I’ve been dong a couple of things – sometimes I’ve been suggesting ways that she could help him, sometimes I’ve been re-directing and offering the space for her to come and help me with something, and other times I’ve been getting down on the floor with them to facilitate everyone having something to do on the mission to creating an airport out of books (for example).

Well, this morning, Louis was whining at me that Joss interrupts him when he’s playing on his iPod. And for some reason, I was tired of the message not getting through. I was tired of my attempts at cooperation gliding right off their conscience like water of a duck’s back.  And I was in about third gear of my rant before I took my foot off the pedal, threw myself into neutral and took a moment to idle.

When I went back, coffee in hand, I could talk in a normal voice, a voice that was true to cooperation, a respectful manner, about my vision for a cooperative family. I could check in with everyone to see whether this was something they thought they might enjoy, and I could get everyone’s buy-in for making it a priority. WAHOO!!!

And you know what?! It worked!! Hallelujah! I can see Louis’ mind ticking over now, when I’m suggesting ways that Joss could be involved, and he’s filing it under “Operation Cooperation”. I have heard him try to think of ways to deal with it, he’s come to me for help instead of bopping her on the head.

All because I took a freaking MOMENT. Lordy.


Long may I continue to take them, whenever needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment