Posts

Sunday 13 December 2015

Advent Calendar

So, it's nearly Christmas. We have an advent calendar which has a different activity every day. Like, take Aunty Anna lunch at work, go to the beach and dig tunnels in the sand, take Isa (our dog) for a swim at the river. 
I made it because I really love the idea of family traditions. And it's become one, so, Yay!! 

Louis and Ron got together and wrote a Christmas List. I had no idea this was going on until Louis mentioned it to me one day. There followed quite a bit of listing from Louis about what he wanted and I got a bit antsy about the way he was using the list more like an Order Form. Anyway, I did all the Christmas shopping in two hours flat yesterday, and I really hope that he will enjoy what we bought him. I'm finding it challenging to make sure that Christmas is about getting together with family and friends, celebrating how awesome our lives are, doing cool things together, and eating delicious food… as well as embracing the thrill of getting new and exciting things. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I agree ENTIRELY! I raced into warehouse today to look at "stuff". Just plastic crap, and the entire consumery feel of it got the better of me and I walked out empty handed. Buying rubbish for the sake of it, an activities advent is such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Thanks for that!! The Warehouse ~sigh~ I remember the pre-warehouse days… We had a sports store in our wee town, a gift store, a pet store, a CD store - all gone now.
      I just bought three baskets from Trade Aid for about 700x the price I would have paid at the Warehouse… but I did it and imagined a lovely woman at the other end of that transaction doing something truly meaningful with that money. It felt MUCH nicer.

      Delete